Thursday, February 16, 2012

Gary Bettman for a day: How to fix the NHL alignment issues

After examining what I would do if I were David Stern for a day, I thought it would be fun to follow that up with what I would do if I were Gary Bettman for a day.  The NHL is an interesting situation that wasn't as easily fixable as the NBA, due to the heavy Canadian presence.  Nevertheless, I found an option I personally like that would provide for the needs of our neighbors up north.  Once again I want to disclose my bias for the PNW as an Oregonian.

As commissioner of the NHL, I would start by increasing the league to 32 teams.  I would add an expansion team in Quebec and Milwaukee and move the Phoenix Coyotes to Seattle.  Aftewards, a little bit of re-arrangement would be necessary.  Here's how I would organize it-

Division 1: The West:
Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Vancouver Canucks
Seattle Expansion or relocation
San Jose Sharks
Los Angeles Kings
Anaheim Ducks
Colorado Avalanche

Division 2: The Midwest
Winnipeg Jets
Minnesota Wild
Chicago Blackhawks
Detroit Red Wings
Milwaukee Expansion or relocation
Pittsburgh Penguins
Toronto Maple Leafs
Buffalo Sabres

Division 3: The Northeast
Quebec Nordiques
Montreal Canadians
Ottawa Senators
Boston Bruins
New York Rangers
New York Islanders
New Jersey Devils
Philadelphia Flyers

Division 4: The Southeast
Florida Panthers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Carolina Hurricanes
Nashville Predators
Washington Capitols
Columbus Blue Jackets
St. Louis Blues
Dallas Stars

This proposal leaves out a number of markets that could have been considered.  Due to the struggles of the southern expansion, I elected to expand to Milwaukee instead of Houston, Phoenix, or Atlanta.  Wisconsin seems like more of a hockey market.

Most people reading this will wonder why the hell I would put the southeast in its' own division.  All of the struggling markets are in one division.  According to current rankings, the #4 & #5 teams in the west would be in this division.  If the Capitols ever figure out how to utilize Alex Ovechkin, they have a headliner right there.  The #3 team in the East would also be in this division, meaning approximately 3/16 of the playoffs would come from this division.  To expect a perfect 4-4-4-4 would be unrealistic however, so 3/16 isn't too bad.  Additionally, I feel keeping teams geographically close allows these markets to promote rivalries.  No one cares about a Tampa/Toronto rivalry.  But an in-state matchup between the Panthers and Lightning might make for a good turnout.  Maybe Nashville develops a rivalry with Carolina or St. Louis.  Or Both for that matter.  If necessary, the two eastern divisions could rearrange.  But at least this would provide a way to instill geographic rivalries while preserving the legacy of some of the Northeastern rivalries.  

No comments:

Post a Comment