Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Seattle Dream & Why the SoDo arena deal means so much

Recently there has been a lot of buzz about a potential new NBA/NHL arena in the SoDo portion of Seattle.  Chris Hansen and his investment group is willing to pay ~$300 million to further the cause of bringing the Sonics back to Seattle.  Let me start by disclosing I am a Portland native.  Having the Blazers in my hometown, I didn't go through the anguish that the Sonics faithful went through when the team relocated.  I won't even pretend to understand the emotional turmoil that ensued.  Yet despite never having lived in Seattle, I find myself incredibly emotionally invested in this project.  Perhaps it is the sports fanatic in me that loves a good rivalry, whether it is the Sounders-Timbers (I am a Sounder for life for all my readers just fyi), Yankees-Red Sox or any of the numerous other combinations.  So one could argue I am biased by the potential of a Blazer-Sonics revival or a Seattle-Vancouver Canucks rivalry.  And they would probably be right to some extent.  But for me. this arena project is something much, much more.  In order to understand what this arena deal means to my vision of the Seattle dream, I need to provide context for how this dream developed.

In 2009 when MLS decided to expand to Seattle, I thought it would be cool to support the league's efforts to establish a Northwestern presence.  I assumed that they would expand to Seattle and stop right there, so I became a Sounders fan.  Additionally, having been a musician for 9 years of my life, I thought it was really cool that a sports management group would strive to incorporate music (not just recorded Billboard Top 100 hits) into the fan experience.  That definitely helped win me over.  But what really did it was watching how the city embraced the Sounders and developed a passion for the franchise.  Even when the Timbers joined a few years later, I had already become committed to Keller and Montero and loved the enthusiasm, passion and the culture of Sounders FC.  

Despite my limited athletic capabilities, I became a huge sports fan.  Yes I played soccer for 4-5 years when I was a wee lad, but my lack of talent quickly became apparent (when an attacker only gets one goal in a career of 4-5 that isn't great numbers).  Yet some of my memories from childhood involve attending sporting events.  I remember seeing Greg Popovich and the Spurs play the Blazers. I remember being a huge Baron Davis and Charlotte Hornets fan growing up, and developing a admiration for Cal Ripkin Jr that I still to this day cannot explain.  You never know what athlete or team a kid will become passionate about.  And when I finally do have kids, it won't matter to me what franchise or athlete they become a loyal supporter of.  As long as I can support them in that effort.

It will be awhile before I have children, and just recently graduating from college, that is probably how it should be.  I still have other dreams I need to pursue.  And that is fine, as there should be no rush.  But when I finally do have kids, I want to ensure I have the greatest possible environment for them to cultivate their passions and interests.  Whether they fall in love with the outdoors (I've heard Rainier and the Olympics are nice) or music or sports, I won't know until they start growing up.  And Seattle has a great nature and outdoor presence, and is sufficiently urbanized for a plethora of musical opportunities.  What is missing is the full sports scene.

You see, my son or daughter may become a huge fan of soccer, baseball or football.  If that is the case, living in Seattle would be more than adequate.  If I am lucky they will become a Sounders, Mariners and Seahawks fan, ensuring that their favorite team always has a home game we can attend.  But they may become a fan of some random franchise like the Charlotte Hornets, or an athlete like Cal Ripkin Jr.  And in cases like these, it would be nice to know that every once in a while (unless they pick an NL team), we can go see their favorite team or player.  If they become an NBA or NHL enthusiast, I would probably have to drive 3 hours north or south.  And for my kids I would do it.  But it is easier to stay passionate about a team if you are surrounded by them.  That's why I hope the NBA and NHL come to Seattle.  I couldn't inspire a love of hockey or basketball in my kids on my talents alone.  But maybe seeing their Lebron James or Gary Payton or Alex Ovechkin would.  

I know this arena deal has a few big issues that need to be addressed.  The amount of initial investment by the city of Seattle and King county have a few people worried.  As does the potential traffic issues for the current SoDo franchises and the Port of Seattle.  Their concerns are all valid and should be addressed, as they do play a major role in this city.  But I know with some creativity the leaders of this city can make something happen that will mitigate these issues and help people like me live the Seattle dream.


1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to the day you join us in The Emerald City.

    ReplyDelete